Tuesday, February 16, 2010

laissez les bon temps rouler...

...that's Cajun for, "Let the good times roll!" Happy Mardi Gras everyone!!!

Before I married into a southern Louisiana family with strong New Orleans roots, I thought Mardi Gras was one day a year, that being, the day before Lent begins. Boy was I wrong! If you are from Louisiana, you know that Mardi Gras is not just a day, but a holiday season that begins January 7th and goes strong until the last hoorah day, Fat Tuesday. The season is all about Krewes (big fraternity-like groups with royalty hierarchy and exclusive membership that host events and parades...or at least that's what i think they are.), Kings and Queens, Dukes and Captains, masks and costumes, parties, balls, king cake, parades, and celebrations of all kinds. I have been able to attend a few Krewe balls and let me tell you...it was a totally cultural experience! I have never experienced anything like it. I look forward to many more Mardi Gras experiences in our future, once we are closer to home.


This year, we decided to invite some friends over for Gumbo (made by yours truly, using Keith's Mom's recipe. DELISH!!) and boudin. Keith's parents brought a bunch up when they came in January and it's been chillin' in the freezer waiting for our party. Our good friends from Utah and Venezuela came over for the evening, and as you can see, we had a great time.


On a different note...Isaac has had the runs for 6 days straight, fever for 3 days, and a nasty cough and cold for 2 days. I have yet to set foot at work this week, but have been to the pediatrician's office twice. As if all of that wasn't bad enough, the diaper rash from HADES has returned full throttle as a result of the disgusting, reeking, slimy excrement that coats his poor little bottom every time he poops. It's raw and bleeding people! Keith and I have been trying to let him "air out" as much as possible. Therefore, our OxyClean carpet cleaner is now almost gone and I am on poopy laundry load number 4 in 3 days. It's like we have a new puppy in the house! Peeing and pooping everywhere...the rug, the highchair, the kitchen floor, the stairs (hiked up leg and everything), the hallway, the bathtub (again), his crib, and our hands. The sacrifices you make as a parent, I tell ya. Here are a few of my favorite pics of him, eh hem, "comando" style:




Now, on a much more beautiful note, this is what it looks like here today! It's like Narnia under the Ice Queen's rule in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Perfectly still and breathtaking. I'm glad I'm home to enjoy it.




So long to you...I'm waiting for Mr. Tumnus to come walking through the trees.

2 comments:

Mia said...

Thanks for the good MG wishes!! Am sitting w Marty RN
& friend Ev, RN, reading your blog & they suggested an aloe plant (squeeze the juice directly on areas, cut piece by littlle piece by piece), or liquid milk of magnesia (the kind u usually take by mouth), and put it on the red areas. They have personal experience w family members and bed sore in nursing homes. They say it works... Worth a try!! Our poor baby & his poor parents!! Hope they rest of the week is better!! Love to all. Mia

Anonymous said...

Hate to say it, but those are some cute cheeks! Makes me want to squeeze them...well, maybe not exactly right now.